Sunday, November 9, 2014

Time for ROOTS!

I love collecting roots in the fall.  I typically collect burdock, dandelion, chicory, and yellow dock roots for making bitters.  But this year, seeing that my backyard was full of yellow dock, I decided to explore this plant a little more.  I like to see what's growing in my backyard because it often gives me a clue to what plant medicine I'm needing.  I believe that the plants you need most, grow the most prolifically right in arms reach.

So in researching yellow dock, I found it to be an excellent blood cleanser.  I've also experienced it being great at pulling toxins out of your intestines.  The other thing I learned is that it's very high in iron and if you tend to have heavy menstrual bleeding, it helps to make your flow more manageable.

Besides taking yellow dock internally, it's also great for external ailments.  This summer one of our chickens had a wound on its foot.  We first used lavender to fight bacteria and then we used comfrey to reduce the swelling.  It seemed to be working okay, but our friend Nicole who came to visit, mentioned that soaking the chicken's foot in an infusion of yellow dock might help.  I had never used it this way, but we thought we'd give it a try.  She had said that she experienced it helping someone with severe gangrene.  And sure enough, Nicole and Nora soaked the chicken's foot in an infusion of yellow dock root and the swelling reduced considerably.

I've collected several yellow dock roots this fall, washed them, chopped them and boiled them in water.  The infusion is almost black, full of iron.  I keep it in a mason jar in the refrigerator and drink about a half a cup a day.  It's funny when our bodies need something like an herbal infusion, it tastes good to us even though it's not necessarily a pleasant taste.  Enjoy the fall everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment