Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Fire Cider, an anti-flu and anti-infection remedy

    This is the original Fire cider recipe from Rosemary Gladstar.  It's a great remedy for warding off both cold and flu.  I made a similar recipe this fall and used many of the same ingredients but added a handful of fresh basil, rose hips and hawthorn berries for their high vitamin C content.  Anytime I feel a cold coming on, I take a teaspoon of the vinegar.  I've even sprinkled it on freshly grated cabbage and carrots where it adds a great spicy flavor that really enhances the taste of the vegetables. 
    • 8 oz. chopped ginger
    • 8 oz. garlic cloves
    • 2 red onions
    • 6 oz. fresh horseradish root
    • Three Chimayo or Jalapeno Chilies
    • A bunch of fresh rosemary
    • A bunch of fresh oregano or bergamot(bee balm) or 1/4 c. dried
    • One organic orage or lemon with the peel
    • Enough apple cider vinegar to cover the herbs twice

    Place all these ingredients in a mason jar, add a few extra ingredients if you like, pour in the apple cider vinegar and let sit for a few weeks.  Strain into a mason jar for storage.  I keep mine right on my kitchen counter so it's always handy when I need it.

    I found Rosemary's recipe on Karen Vaughn's blog and wanted to share it.  Rosemary, along with so many other herbalists share their wisdom and pass along great recipes from one generation to the next.  It's such a blessing that there is such valuable information freely shared.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment